Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 29--Confetti, Easter Eggs, and the In-Laws

Dear Deployment,

Today was our first official holiday apart because of a deployment.  He has arrived safely in his originally destined country--we still don't know if he'll be heading to Afghanistan yet.  We were able to talk for two minutes yesterday, for which I was thankful.  I almost hung up on him though because I didn't recognize the phone number and there was a delay....
I'm glad I waited that extra second.
It was so good to hear his voice.  It sounded like him, just more tired.  He hadn't really slept since leaving on Friday, so he was exhausted after two days of travel.  It sounds like he has his own room for now, which will be nice, especially when we have Skype dates, so that we don't have to feel as though someone is listening in to our conversations.

I can't wait for him to get his internet up and working...two minute phone calls already stink and letters are slow.  I sent him an email this morning and posted on his Facebook wall today, but obviously, am still waiting for a reply.  Guh, sometimes this whole concept of him getting settled in really drives me loony.

I must admit, though, that I am somewhat relieved this deployment is finally underway.  The stress of just waiting for it was almost too much towards the end of the waiting.  I hate that DH is gone, but I'm also glad that we're finally in the deployment phase--it means we can start our countdown to being together again.  It means we can settle into a routine finally.
I want to hear from him so bad.  I want to tell him about my day today.

But I guess I'll tell you for now, and add pictures as I receive them.

My immediate family celebrated Easter yesterday afternoon.  As usual, the Easter Egg Hunt was a contact sport resulting in at least two children throwing fits (one of whom is over the age of 20--and no, it was not me).  Easter is probably the most important holiday in my family because it is the day that our Savior completed what He came to do--Save us!  It was a blessed time together and I was happy to share that with them.
I had to wake up early this morning to drive an hour and a half to my in-laws (we are fortunate to be stationed close to family right now) for brunch.  I can't remember the last time I ate that much food.  I'm still learning to navigate the whole "in law" business, but I think it's getting easier as time goes on....DH is my safety blanket when it comes to them, so without him here, I do feel a bit more timid around them.
but darn it, I'm going to keep working at it

Puppy was not happy with me today since she spent the majority of it in her kennel.  She wouldn't snuggle with me when I got home.
I guess I probably deserved it.

Around 4, I went to the Colonel's house to have dinner with his family.  We are blessed to have a squadron commander who actually cares about the families of his troops.  There was about 5 families there, some of whom just didn't have family around, some of whom whose spouses were deployed like mine.  I have never felt more welcome by a family that isn't already family.
We laughed and joked the entire afternoon.  His wife is also the best cook I've been around in a long time.  I'll try to post some of these recipes she served--she promised to share them with me.

Then, the fun began.  We had confetti eggs we had to break over each others heads.  They were supposed to be for the kids, but the Colonel's daughters ended up getting everyone--including their dad.  It was pretty funny watching them chase him around the yard.  It was such a fun time--and for a moment, I forgot how bummed I was that DH wasn't here to share our first Easter together.

I've started painting.  I'm no artist, so it's just paint-by-number, but I am amazed at how relaxing it has been.  I'll post my progress with that as I start to work on it.  It's nothing fancy, but the concentration really relaxes me.  I'm also hoping to knock out a few projects.
We'll see how productive I end up being!

Since it's late, and I have to work in the morning, I will end my post here.  Each day is one closer to being with my love again.  Each day we grow stronger.

Sincerely,
The Faithful Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment