Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day 49--Oh, to be 10 Again

Dear Deployment,

I was able to celebrate my little sister's 10th birthday with her today.  It seems like just yesterday she was born and I was a sixth grader...time flies way too fast for my liking sometimes.  She's really growing to be a beautiful young lady
My cousin and I were talking about how much simpler life was when we were 10.  Those things that mean so much then, really don't end up meaning so much down the road.  The worries we had then were in relation to homework and how much TV time we were allowed.
and I was fortunate to have an intact family structure with parents who loved (and continue to love) each other dearly.
Life was so simple.
Can I be 10 again?

I'll admit though, I really enjoy being an adult most days.  I'm finally learning how to take myself seriously, which I guess is a good thing since it's about darn time I did that (considering I've been a college graduate for over a year now).  I'm learning to be comfortable in my own skin....
speaking of skin
I've lost 4 pounds and an inch all over since I started working with my trainer.  Looking at this deployment in the "big picture" I am already amazed at how much good I am choosing to embrace.  Without the deployment, I wouldn't have gotten a trainer.  Without the deployment, I wouldn't have broken my husband's truck and had to learn how to assert myself with car people.  Without the deployment, I'd still be right where I was a month and a half ago.
and life is too short to not grow every day.

So while I miss my husband and I wish he was laying here next to me in our (still freezing cold) bed, I am also thankful for this challenge.  Thankful for the opportunities I'm being presented.
Thankful that I'm learning that I'm not 10 years old and that I am capable of so much more than I ever dreamed possible.

And for those of you who wondered: yes, I told him about the truck.  No, I'm not dead. Yes, he was disappointed. Yes, my entire summer trip fund has been depleted trying to repair it. No, I'm never driving that truck again. Yes, I have learned my lesson: only drive small cars from now on.

ah, the lessons learned
Sincerely,
The Faithful Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment