Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day 3-Murphy's Law Should be Renamed

Dear Deployment,

Whoever came up with the concept of Murphy's Law (probably someone named Murphy, but let's just be honest: Murphy was actually the last name of a guy in the military and his wife came up with the term after realizing that everytime he deployed, everything went wrong)
It should go something like this:
Everything that could go wrong, will go wrong the moment your loved one leaves for a deployment.  See? Just needs an addendum.

So why, do you ask, do I suggest such changes to a long-held rule?
Let's just say that it started with a trip to the doggie ER.

I went to work today and dropped puppy off at the groomers to get pampered while I was away.  When I returned to pick her up at 6, I was informed that she developed a severe case of diahrrea during the day.
Awesome.
No big deal though, it's happened before, so we go home and lo and behold, it happens again.  Now she won't eat, drink or play and she's laying by the front door like she's dying.
Panic mode.

So I called a friend of mine and asked what I should do and we decided to take her into the emergency vet clinic since she was acting so lethargic.  Thankfully, her husband was also able to come so that I didn't have to lift my gigantic animal and we made our way to the clinic.
It's a scary thing, thinking your sweet pet is seriously ill.  I'll admit it, I was crying.  I'm still stressed out over it, actually.
The entire ride over there was excruciating for me.  Puppy wasn't acting herself, I was beside myself.  Thankfully DH has his phone for another two weeks and I called him to let him know.  How I wished he could have been there to hold my hand and tell me it's going to be okay.  Instead, I just had to say "I'm taking puppy into the vet, I'll call you as soon as I know anything"
I felt bad, because I know on his end, he was worried too.....part of me wishes I didn't have to tell him, but the charge to our credit card account had to be explained before it inexplicably showed up on our next statement.

The clinic wanted to charge me $1000.00 for tests and treatments, but her vitals were okay, so I decided to wait until the morning to have her seen by our vet.  She's acting a bit better now, but I can tell her tummy is still bothering her.
It's weird, making those big decisions by myself.  I guess that's part of this: learning independence.  Learning to make those big decisions without being able to consult my better half.

I was able to call him after she was seen and reassure him that puppy will be okay, but I know we're both still worried.  Since we have no children of our own, she is our child....and I don't know what I'd do if something happened to her.

Thankfully, everything turned out okay.
I just wish Murphy's Law didn't exist.
I'm just waiting on my car to break next....it's going to happen, I just know it.

Rewrite Murphy's Law, deployment....or at least make it fair.

Sincerely,
The Faithful Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment