Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Day 144--Getting in Touch with my Inner Domestic Goddess

Dear Deployment,

Look what I made:
That's a white layer cake with strawberry frosting.....it was delicious.

So much for losing weight this deployment.

I've noticed that I really enjoy baking.  While I've always been someone who will help out when bake sales/events/holidays/an excuse for baking is needed, I've never really done it just to bake.  The last week or so, though, it's been different.  I actually want to bake as a relaxation tool.  I look forward to mixing things by hand, or figuring out new things (like how to make a layer cake).

That's something I'm learning the longer DH is away:  it's okay to spend ridiculous amounts of time doing something pointless on occasion.  I don't need to bake, but I enjoy baking.  So I'm doing it.  I'm finding out new tricks and how to frost cakes without destroying my pretty layers.  I'm learning you can substitute applesauce for oil in recipes.
I'm also learning that friendship bread starter never ends.
it's kind of a pain...but like the good pain that you hate to admit you're enjoying....
don't tell me you don't know what I'm talking about.

Other than baking, I've also gotten quite crafty.  Here was my most recent project:
I made a wreath out of DH's old ABU's.  This picture isn't the final final product, since I trimmed it up a bit and things, but this is the general idea.  It was so fun for me to put together, especially since the uniform I used was his well-worn one that he used in tech school.  Call me a nerd, but I'm nolstagic like that.

I've been working out a lot lately.  I am glad that during this deployment I've been keeping up (mostly) with the things I said I was going to focus on.  I've been working out, and I'm seeing the results.  It's been fun to look back at pictures from before or wear a dress from before and realize the real changes that my body is making.  While I'm not one to post pictures of myself, I have to have a vain moment:

My arms didn't look like that 5 months ago....I'm really proud of myself.  It makes me wonder what I'll look like when I hit my goal weight/size.  I'm almost there, but darn it, I can hardly wait to surprise DH with the changes my body has made (and I'm sure he'll love them....although after 7 months of not seeing me, he'd like me in a paper bag and tissue boxes for shoes)

One bit of saga that I have to share, just because it's so ridiculous/hilarious is the adventure I had with the base clinic.  Now, I'm not knocking military doctors or Tricare or anything, so before you start jumping down my neck, let me explain this issue was created by the lovely scheduling desk and had nothing to do with any of the doctors/nurses/etc that I dealt with (surprisingly, I have had wonderful experiences with military doctors so far, so I guess I'm lucky)
About two months ago I had an infection that we thought we kicked.  However, after a week of antibiotics and still being in pain, I called the clinic per the Urgent Care's orders to be seen by an ENT (ear/nose/throat doctor).  This was around July 6th.
I didn't hear back, so I called again on July 9th.
I didn't hear back, so I called again on July 11th.
Are you sensing a pattern?  Guess what happened.  I'll bet you get the answer right.

So, after being in excruciating pain to the point I was ready to hop in DH's truck (gleefully, mind you...that's when you know that I'm sick--when I want to drive the truck) and take myself to the nearest hosptial, I called our First Shirt.
If you don't have your First Shirt's information, ladies, you need to get it.  They are an incredible resource that don't get tapped into enough.  They are there for us, and the liason when our husbands can't be.  Use them.  That's why they're there.
Of course, our First Shirt was furious and said it'd be taken care of immediately.
and miraculously, I got a phone call from the clinic at 7:30am the next morning wanting to schedule me for an appointment.  Funny how they just seemed to know the issue that I was dealing with even though I never talked to them beforehand....oh wait....

The ENT that I saw was phenomenal but  because of the incredible delay between the start of the infection and diagnosing what was going on, I lost some of my hearing in my right ear.  Basically what ended up happening was that I had a middle ear infection that travelled into my nasal cavity and my salivary glands and it ended up affecting my ability to hear low frequencies out of my right ear.
and as of my follow up appointment yesterday, the hearing isnt' fully back yet.  So stay tuned, we'll know in a month if it's going to be this way permanently.

It's been quite an adventure.  I'm not even mad, it's so horrible it's funny.
Yes, I'm a loon.  I knew that a long time ago.

But other than that, my life has been very  boring.
and I need to go finish some cake.....


I can't promise I'll save you any....

Sincerely,
The Faithful Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment